Chettinad Idiyappam Recipe
The Idiyappam Recipe is a delicately made spicy dish. String hoppers are sauteed along with chilli paste and fresh vegetables. As the string hoppers are made of rice, this dish is gluten free . It is also a vegan dish and is so light on the stomach. Serve the Chettinad Idiyappam Recipe with coconut chutney or tomato chutney for a healthy wholesome breakfast, but they taste delicious even without any accompaniments.
Some more Idiyappam recipes that you can try are:
- 300 grams Idiyappam , soaked in hot water, drained and set aside
- 10 Shallots , halved
- 2 Fresh Red Chilli , adjust according to heat of the chillies, crush them to a paste using mortar and pestle
- 1/2 Carrot , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , thinly sliced
- 1/4 Red Bell pepper (Capsicum) , or yellow, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Cabbage , shredded
- 3 cloves Garlic , grated
- 1/2 inch Ginger , grated
- 2 teaspoons Sesame oil
- Salt , to taste For garnish :
- Spring Onion (Scallion) greens , finely chopped
Directions for Chettinad Idiyappam Recipe
To begin making the Chettinad Idiyappam Recipe, heat a pan with oil add the grated ginger and garlic .
Stir well for 30 seconds on low flame and then add the shallots.
Saute the onions till they turn transparent and then stir in the vegetables.
Add chilli paste, salt and fry them over low to medium flame till they are fork tender.
Now add the cooked idiappam and toss them together over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
Switch off and garnish with the greens of spring onion.
Masterchefmom aka Uma Raghuraman is passionate about cooking and loves to experiment with Indian and World cuisine. She shares her experiences step by step and amazing recipes through her blog, www.masterchefmom.blogspot.in. A self taught and compulsive baker she tries to bring in right balance of taste, nutrition and presentation to all her dishes. A mother to two teenagers and having been with children as a school teacher for over five years, she understands child psychology and the role played by food in influencing their eating habits.