- Created on 26 December 2007
- Written by Archana Doshi
The Coconut Chutney is simple and quick to make accompaniment that is very popularly had along with Dosa's, Idli's and Vegetable Rava Upma's. The Coconut Chutney recipe uses fresh coconut, ground along with green chillies and roasted channa along with a dash of lemon or yogurt that makes it tangy and opens up your senses.
CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO RECIPE OF HOW TO MAKE COCONUT CHUTNEY
Makes: 2 cups
Ingredients to be ground into paste
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 tablespoon dahlia/bhunna channa/ roasted channa dal
- 4 to 5 almonds
- 1 or 2 green chillies
- an inch piece of ginger
Ingredients for Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon halved white urad dal
- 1 teaspoon oil for seasoning
- 4 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 dry red chillies
- salt to taste
Method to make the Coconut Chutney Recipe
- Grind all the ingredients except the seasoning together with ½ cup of hot water. Hot water prevents the coconut from getting curdled and sticky.
- Heat oil in a small pan on medium heat; add mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves and allow it to crackle. Add the seasoning to the ground coconut mixture. Now add the lemon juice and salt to taste and mix well.
- Serve the delicious Coconut Chutney along with Dosa's, Idli's and Vegetable Rava Upma's or any other dish you want to savor it with.