- Created on 07 June 2008
- Written by Archana Doshi
Hyderabadi Biryani is a traditional celebration meal made using meat and rice and is a staple of Hyderabadi cuisine. This recipe was shared to me by a Muslim friend who makes the most awesome Biryani that I have tasted. The recipe of Hyderabadi Biryani has a few stages to making it. I make it in many different ways and the one mentioned below is one of the methods to make it super delicious.
CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO RECIPE OF HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE HYDERABADI BIRYANI
The biryani is typically accompanied with any or all of these ingredients
- Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan - a green chili curry
- Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan
- A salad includes onion, carrot, cucumber, & lemon wedges
Lets dive right in to see how to make the Vegetable Hyderabadi Biryani Recipe
Vegetables Ingredients for the Biryani
- 1/2 cup green beans, diced, steamed
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced, steamed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, steamed
- 1 cup potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed – keep them a little firm
To be ground into paste
- (Grind the below ingredients to a paste and keep aside)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 large inch piece of ginger
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies
Main Ingredients for Biryani
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped or 1/2 cup of tomato puree
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch stick of cinnamon
- 4 pods of cardamom, peeled with seeds only
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
Ingredients for Garnishing
- a small bunch cup freshly chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of sliced and caramelized onions. See Video Recipe of How to Caramelize the Onions
Method to make the Vegetable Biryani
- Cook the rice with 2 cups of water along with salt and 2 tablespoons of oil and keep aside. Thus rice will be only half cooked as we are adding only half the about of water to cook the rice. The rice will then get cooked further along with the masala below.
- Heat two tablespoon of oil in a big sauce pan; add in the onion garlic and ginger paste and sauté on medium heat until the color has changed and the raw smell from the onions go away.
- Pound the cardamom, cinnamon and cloves well in a pestle and motor
- Add in the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and cardamom pods. Sauté for a few seconds until combined. Add in the finely chopped tomatoes or the tomato puree. Sauté the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, add the yogurt at this point and simmer for another 5 minutes until it is bubbling and gets a good aroma.
- Finally add in the mint leaves potatoes, steamed vegetables, half cooked rice, chopped mint leaves and any additional salt that is required. Sauté for a few minutes until it gets combined with the rest of the masala.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover the pan witha tight fitting lid and simmer until all the rice is puffed up and cooked completely. Once cooked, turn off the heat keep the pan covered for about 5 more minutes before you can serve
- Open the pan and give the biriyani a gentle stir, to combine all the masala and vegetables into the rice.
- Finally garnish with caramelized onions.
- Serve the Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani with Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan or Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan