- Created on 31 December 2007
- Written by Archana Doshi
Ringna Batata Nu Shaak is very atypical to a Gujarati home. Gujarati’s like their vegetables to be cooked to tender and most often the consistency to be in wet form. Brinjal is one such vegetable that gets cooked until it is almost blended as gravy with subtle pieces of purple that stand out. Potatoes get paired with many vegetables like brinjal making it one of the staple ingredients in Gujarati cuisine. Serve the Aloo Baingan Ki Sabzi | Ringna Batata Nu Shaak along with Methi Thepla or even Phulka's and Gujarati Kadhi
Makes: 4-5 servings
- 3 cups brinjal, cubed
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup finely pureed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat; add cumin seeds, nigella seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the ginger, tomatoes, turmeric powder, asafoetida, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and sauté until the tomatoes get bubbly.
- Stir in the potatoes and brinjal adding 2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lightly fitting lid and simmer until the vegetables are soft and tender; adding more water to adjust the consistency of the dish to suit your taste.
- Stirring occasionally to combine the vegetables in the gravy; the whole dish will look a little mushy and have a little gravy that is formed from the tomatoes, the softened brinjal and the starch from the potatoes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and the desired consistency is reached, turn off the heat, stir in the chopped coriander leaves and serve.
- Serve the Aloo Baingan Ki Sabzi | Ringna Batata Nu Shaak along with Methi Thepla or even Phulka's and Gujarati Kadhi