CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO OF HOW TO MAKE PUDINA RICE
Ingredients for the Pudina Rice
- 1 cup rice (long or short grained)
- 2-1/2 cups Pudina leaves (without any stem)
- 3 green chillies, slit
- 2 inch piece fresh tamarind
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon halfed white urad dal
- salt to taste
Method to make the Pudina Rice
- Cook the Rice with 2 cups of water along with a little salt and a tablespoon of oil until all the water is absorbed. Allow the cooked rice to rest for a while and use it to make the Pudina Rice only after it has completely cooled down.
- Wash the pudina leaves. Using a food processor, gring the pudina leaves along with the green chillies and tamarind into a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat; add the mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Stir in the urad dal and roast it until it turns light golden brown. Add the onions and saute until the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the ground pudina mixture and salt. Give it a stir and let it cook for 5 minutes until the mixture turns a little thick. Turn off the heat and finally stir in the cooked rice to this mixture until well combined.
- Serve the Pudina Rice hot with raita and papad. You can also pack this rice into the kids lunch box along with a bowl of yogurt.