With all her love she has shared the recipe with me making sure I have been with her through every step of the process of making this sweet so I can get it as perfect as she does. After many sessions of getting trained by watching her make this sweet I started making this on my own without her guidance. I noticed that there was a variation in her recipe compared to many others; she did not use khoya and I think this made a sea of difference to the recipe.
CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO RECIPE OF HOW TO MAKE THE GUJARATI MOHANTHAL
Makes: 20 pieces approximately
- 4 cups gram flour
- 2-1/4 cups ghee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds and pistachios
Ingredients for the Sugar Syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch square pan with a minimum of 2 inch rim with ghee and set aside.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of ghee to the gram flour in a large bowl and combine well with fingers to make a mixture that feels like coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk to the above coarse crumbs mixture and rub between the palms to combine well.
- In another sauce pan; heat the 2 cups of sugar and 1-1/2 cups of water simmering it until it reaches a two thread consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep it warm.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a large sauce pan and add the above flour mixture, stirring continuously until golden brown and releases a roasted aroma about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the nuts and cardamom until combined.
- Gradually add the sugar syrup and keep stirring till the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. Take care not to stir to for too long; if you do the mixture will become too rubbery when set.
- Turn off heat and transfer the mixture into the greased rectangular pan, leveling such that the Mohanthal is about two inches in height.
- Run a knife to cut into squares and allow it to cool on the tray for more than a couple of hours to set. Once cooled completely, separate the precut squares and serve. Store them in air tight containers in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- Serve the Mohanthal as is or serve it warm by heating in the microwave for a few seconds.