Makes: 6 - 8 servings
Ingredients to make the Rava Kesari Bhath | Sooji Halwa Recipe
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1/2 cup ghee + 1 tablespoon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- a few strands saffron
- 10 halved cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons sultana raisins
- Boil the water, milk, sugar, saffron and cardamom in a sauce pan stirring until the sugar melts. Keep the liquid mixture aside.
- In wide heavy bottomed pan heat ¼ cup of ghee on medium heat; add the semolina and roast until the semolina gives out a roasted aroma and also turns light golden color. Take care not to let it over brown.
- Gradually begin to stir in the hot liquid mixture you prepared earlier. Take care to keep the heat in medium as the mixture will splutter around as you pour the hot liquid to the semolina.
- Keep stirring the mixture and the semolina will continue to thicken. Once it has thickened it will begin to leave the sides of the pan. Cover the pan and simmer for a couple of minutes stirring occasionally.
- You will notice the semolina is cooked and when you stir the whole mixture comes away from the sides of the pan. At this stage, turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid and let it to rest for a few minutes.
- In another small pan; heat the 1 tablespoon of ghee on medium heat; add the cashew nuts and raisins and roast them until the cashew nuts turn golden brown.
- Turn off heat and stir this to the Sooji Halwa | Kesari.
- Serve the Rava Kesari Bhath | Sooji Halwa along with Vegetable Rava Upma for breakfast or even savor this as a sweet after a delicious meal.