- Created on 10 March 2010
- Written by Archana Doshi
Breakfast Potato Quiche is a perfect breakfast recipe where the crust of the quiche is made from potatoes and filled with creamy corn. The potato quiche makes a perfect recipe when you are calling people over for breakfast or a cozy sunday brunch. Serve it with some fresh juice of watermelon, orange and pomegranates.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Ingredients for the Breakfast Potato Quiche
- 6 large potatoes, boiled peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon of whole black pepper, coarsely pounded
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 250 grams of tender corn kernels, steamed
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red chilli powder or smoked paprika
- a small bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Gently press the grated potatoes between paper towels to dry them as best as possible. In a 9-inch pie plate, toss the potatoes with the melted butter, salt and pepper. Stir to combine well.
- Press the potatoes into the bottom of the pan and up the sides to form a crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 -35 minutes until golden brown and sides of the potato crust start to crisp.
- Mean while, in a sauce pan, whisk the whole wheat flour, milk, salt and cayenne pepper. Place the pan on medium heat and begin to cook the sauce, stirring continuously until thickened. Stir in the baking powder at this stage and whisk until well blended. Turn off heat and add the steamed corn and stir.
- When the hash brown potato crust is ready pour the corn mixture over it, sprinkle the cheese and return to the oven.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180 C and bake for about 15 to 10 minutes until the cheese is light golden brown on top.
- Serve the Breakfast Potato Quiche with a tall glass of freshly made fruit juice.