- Created on 31 January 2008
- Written by Archana Doshi
- Hits: 22493
Finelty chopped sauteed mushrooms spiced up with green chillies, coriander leaves and optionally eggs, makes a filling and healhty weekend breakfast or snack/lunch box. The recipe uses grilling in a sandwich maker which makes it less messy and easy to carry in a lunch box as well. You can grill in an oven, a Panini or a stove top grill.
Makes: 6 sandwiches
Cooking time: 3-4 minutes per sandwich
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 12 slices of wheat bread/or any bread of your choice
- 2 cups cleaned, stemmed and chopped button mushrooms
- 1 egg (optional for people who don’t use eggs)
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies (optional if giving children)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- Butter as required
- 1 tablespoon vegetable/sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat; add the chopped mushrooms and sauté until water has evaporated (mushrooms give out water while being cooked).
Add the egg, green chillies, salt and pepper; sauté until egg is blended and cooked well into the mushrooms.
Turn off heat; add cheese and coriander leaves, mix and set aside.
You need 2 slices of bread to make 1 sandwich.
Spread the butter on the slices of bread. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture on one slice and cover with the other slice and grill using a sandwich maker or any other grilling method of your choice.