Doodhi Na Muthiya Dhokla Recipe
Bottle gourd steamed and pan fried with flours
Doodhi na muthiya is classic Gujarati breakfast dish made from a combination of flours, bottle gourd and spices. You can also use left over rice to make these Muthia Dhoklas. Traditionally these muthias are pan fried after they are steamed, but in this recipe, I will only be adding the seasoning on the top to keep the health quotient up for this wholesome breakfast recipe. Serve the Doodhi Na Muthiya Dhokla as a tea time snack, for breakfast or even as a light dinner along with Green Chutney and Masala Chai.
If you like dhoklas, try different types of dhokla like,
- 2 cups Bottle gourd (lauki) , peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Gram flour (besan)
- 1/4 cup Sooji (Semolina/ Rava)
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 5 Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
How to make Doodhi Na Muthiya Dhokla Recipe
To begin making the Doodhi Na Muthiya Dhokla Recipe, combine grated doodhi, whole wheat flour, gram flour, semolina, yogurt, sugar, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, oil and salt in a bowl mix well and knead into a soft dough without using water.
Apply 1/4 teaspoon of oil in the palm of your hands and divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll.
Arrange the rolls on a greased steamer plate and steam in a steamer for 15 to 20 minutes until the muthias get a shiny texture.
Once it is steamed, turn off the heat and allow it cool a little. Slice each roll and arrange them on a platter.
For the seasoning, heat the oil in a small pan; add the mustard seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.