Vegetable Oats Upma Recipe (Savory Oats Breakfast Pudding)
The Vegetable Oats Upma Recipe can be a quick and delicious breakfast or a dinner that can be made in a jiffy. With all the ingredients ready, the dish can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. The oats upma can be dry to the palate and a little heavy as well, so it is important to have it along with coconut chutney and bananas to make feel a lot more delicious and wholesome.
Here are few more South Indian Breakfast recipes to try
- 1 cup Oats , (rolled oats)
- 1/4 cup Carrots , diced & steamed
- 1/4 cup Green beans (French Beans) , chopped & steamed
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar) , steamed
- 1/4 cup Onion , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 1 Green Chilli , chopped
- 5 to 6 Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 Dry red chilli , halved
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nuts , roasted in ghee
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , few, chopped
- Fresh coconut , grated (for garnish)
Directions for Vegetable Oats Upma Recipe (Savory Oats Breakfast Pudding)
To begin making the Vegetable Oats Upma Recipe, in a heavy bottomed pan; dry roast the rolled oats until its gets a roasted aroma and also turns lightly crisp.
Once roasted, transfer the roasted oats to another bowl and allow it to cool.
Heat the oil in the same heavy bottomed pan; add the red chillies, mustard seeds, urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle and allow the red chilli and the urad dal to roast and turn a little brown.
At this stage, add the onion, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves and saute till they become soft.
Add in the turmeric powder, salt, steamed vegetables and tomatoes and saute it for about half a minute.
Finally add the oats and stir well so that all the ingredients get well combined. Cover the pan, turn the heat to low and allow it to steam for a few minutes in the heat.
The water released from the tomatoes is enough to cook the oats. Add a few drops of warm water if needed (not too much as the oats will get soggy).
Garnish with coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut.
Serve the Vegetable Oats Upma along with coconut chutney, cut bananas and freshly brewed coffee.