Makes: 8 to 10 manchurian balls
Ingredients for Vegetable Manchurian Balls
- 3 cups of finely minced cabbage
- 1 cup of finely grated carrot
- 1 large capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of corn flour
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Hot and Spicy Chilli Garlic Manchurian Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, grated or chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable/sunflower oil
- Salt to taste and black pepper powder to taste
Method for Making the Vegetable Manchurian Balls
- Heat oil in a wok or a deep frying pan.
- In the meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the manchurian balls in a large bowl adding just a little water if required. Knead to combine until all the ingredients come together.
- Divide the mixture into 8 to 10 balls of bite size or a little bigger.
- Once the oil is preheated in the deep frying pan; add about 5 balls (or the amount your deep fryer /wok can hold) at a time into the hot oil and fry until dark/ golden brown but not burnt brown. Take care to fry on medium heat so the balls get cooked from the inside.
- Drain the excess oil from the vegetable manchurian balls from oil in paper towels. Fry the remaining balls the similar way and keep aside.
Method for Spicy Chilli Garlic Manchurian Sauce
- In a small mixing bow; add in the corn flour along with the cup of water or vegetable stock. Stir to combine the flour into the water. Add soya sauce, ketchup, the red chilli sauce, sriracha sauce, black pepper powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan on high heat; add garlic, ginger, green chillies, spring onions and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the corn flour mixture to the above wok and cook for a few minutes until thick and the corn flour is cooked.
- Add in an additonal cup of water if required to adjust the consistency of the sauce to suit your taste. Check the salt and chilli levels in the sauce and adjust to suit your palate.
Serving the Manchurian with Sauce
- Just before serving, put the fried Vegetable Manchurian Balls in the sauce and stir fry on high heat for few minutes. Garnish with spring onion leaves.
- Serve the Vegetable Manchurian Balls in Chilli Garlic Sauce along with Vegetable Hakka Noodles or Chinese Vegetable Fried Rice.