- Created on 08 February 2008
- Written by Archana Doshi
Rajma Masala also known as the North Indian Red Kidney Beans Curry is a very famous recipe from the North India. Rajma Masala popularly known as Rajma Chawal is considered as a comfort food by many. This recipe makes a one dish meal, when the Rajma Masala is served along with steamed hot rice where the wonderful flavours of the rajma combine with the rice, makes the meal wholesome and very nutritious.
Children absolutely love Rajma Masala as a school lunch option, and because of its high protein and carb content, keeps them full and nourished throughout the day.
CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO RECIPE OF HOW TO MAKE RAJMA MASALA | CHAWAL
Ingredients used to make the Rajma Masala | Rajma Chawal Recipe
- 1 cup Rajma/ Red Kidney Beans (soaked overnight/ 8 hours) - See Video Recipe Of How To Cook Rajma | Kidney Beans
- an inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, pureed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 to 4 cardamom pods, powdered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- a small bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Note: I do cook the rajma malala without the onion garlic paste as well, but just using grated ginger. This makes it lighter.
- Begin by cooking the soaked/ softened rajma in about 3 cups of water until it turns very soft.
- See Video Recipe Of How To Cook Rajma | Kidney Beans
- Make a paste of the onion, ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
- To make the rajma masala, heat the oil to a heavy bottomed pan and add in the cumin seeds and allow it to sizzle. Add in the onion ginger garlic paste and saute on medium heat until the raw smell goes away.
- Now, stir in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, cardamom powder and sauté again, till the tomatoes comes to a bubbling stage, for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- At this point, stir in the cooked rajma, an additional cup water and butter and simmer with the pan covered for about 30 minutes to 40 minutes. The longer you simmer, the more the spices get into the rajma and the tastier it gets. The consistency of the gravy can also be adjusted by adding more or less water.
- Finally garnish this delicious Rajma Masala with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with steamed rice making it a delicious Rajma Chawal.