Grilled Tofu Satay Recipe (Wrapped in Lettuce with Peanut Dipping Sauce)
Marinated tofu soy sauce and sherry grilled and wrapped in lettuce and sprouts served with peanut dipping sauce
The Grilled Tofu Satay recipe is simple, quick and healthy appetizer that you can make for your parties. Tofu when marinated into the curry powder and then topped with the peanut dipping sauce that is made from peanut butter and coconut milk makes this recipe wholesome and nutritious. Just have a the dipping sauce ready, along with the lettuce and the marinated tofu and you are ready to start your vegetarian grilling party for summers or winters. Serve Grilled Tofu Satay Recipe (Wrapped in Lettuce with Peanut Dipping Sauce) with Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe with 7 Grain Rice and Sprout Salad or Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Mini Pepper Recipe for parties.
If you like this recipe, here are more similar recipes to try
Ingredients for Serving
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- Iceberg lettuce , to wrap and serve Ingredients for Tofu Marinade
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry , (or dry white wine)
- 2 lb Tofu , sliced 1 inch thick and patted dry
- 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Dry mix herbs , dried mint and salt (mix them together) Ingredients for Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 3 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 2 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi) Ingredients for Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter , smooth or chunky
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Curry powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Brown Sugar (Demerara Sugar)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper , or red chilli powder
How to make Grilled Tofu Satay Recipe (Wrapped in Lettuce with Peanut Dipping Sauce)Method for making Curry Powder
To begin making Grilled Tofu Satay Recipe, first start with making the curry powder. Place a wide pan over medium heat, and toast all the ingredients except the turmeric powder until the seeds start to just change color and become aromatic. Place the roasted ingredients along with the turmeric into a spice grinder and blend until it becomes a fine powder. Shake well to combine and store until ready for use.
To make the sauce, place all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a decorative serving bowl and warm it when you are ready to serve it along with the grilled tofu.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dry tofu and toss gently with a fingers to coat evenly. Let the tofu marinate for about 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. Refrigerate if longer than 1 hour and grill when you are ready to serve.
Preheat the grill (I use a stove top grill). Toss the marinated tofu on the bread crumbs. Place the bread crumb coated tofu on the grill and grill the tofu turning it occasionally until it gets a deep golden brown color. You can optionally add a little oil while grilling.
For serving, place the tofu on lettuce leaves (torn such that the tofu can rest on it), sprinkle some bean sprouts and drizzle a bit of peanut dipping sauce and serve the Grilled Tofu Satay wrapped in Lettuce with Peanut Dipping Sauce as an appetizer for parties for even as a entree for main course.
This Grilled Tofu Satay Recipe (Wrapped in Lettuce with Peanut Dipping Sauce) can also be served with Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe with 7 Grain Rice and Sprout Salad or Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Mini Pepper Recipe for parties.