Tindora Ka Salan Recipe
This Tindora Ka Salan tastes delicious and is best served with Biryanis. You can also make this delicious Salan along with Tawa Paratha/Whole Wheat Lachha Paratha and a Raita.
Salan is an accompaniment which is usually had with the Biryani's. There are several types of salan, the most common being Mirchi Ka Salan. Here, we have used tindora or Ivy Gourds to make the salan. Ivy gourds have many nutritional benefits. It is highly beneficial for the diabetic patients as it contains the natural insulin to lower the sugar level in the body. The freshly made salan masala adds a nutty taste to the dish.
Serve the Tindora Ka Salan along with Paneer Biryani, Vegetable Biryani or any other Biryani of your choice at your next home party. You can also serve a Coriander Tadka Raita along with this Salan and Biryani.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Salan Recipes such as
- 250 grams Tindora (Dondakaya/ Kovakkai) , slitted keeping the base intact
- 1 Onion , thinly sliced
- 2 Green Chillies , slit
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Jaggery , powdered
- 1/4 cup Tamarind Water
- 2 tablespoons Mint Leaves (Pudina) , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt , to taste Ingredients to dry roast and grind
- 1 tablespoons Raw Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh coconut , grated
How to make Tindora Ka Salan Recipe
To begin making the Tindora Ka Salan Recipe, dry roast the peanuts, sesame and grated coconut till it turns golden and fragrant and grind it to a smooth paste using mixer grinder with little water and keep aside.
Wash, and slit the tindoras into 4 keeping the base intact.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add the slit tindoras and cook until they are cooked to 3/4th with occasionally stirring in between. Keep aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
Now, add the cumin seeds, red chillies, fenugreek seeds and saute for a minute.
Add the sliced onions and saute till they turn brown. Add in the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes away.
Add the turmeric, red chilli, cumin, coriander powder and green chilli, saute for a minute.
Add the prepared masala and little water, and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the mint, coriander leaves, green chilli, partially fried tindoras and mix well.
Now, add in the tamarind juice, jaggery, season with salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
Once the tindoras are fully cooked, switch off the flame, add the lemon juice and let it rest for an hour before serving.
Serve the Tindora Ka Salan Recipe along with Paneer Biryani, Vegetable Biryani or any other biryani of your choice at your next home party.