Pahari Style Phanu Recipe - Delicious Mixed Dal
The Phanu Recipe is a delicious blend of toor dal and urad dal that creates a wonderful dish which makes it an everyday meal that can be served along with phulka or just with some plain rice.
Pahari Style Phanu Recipe is a delicious blend of two different dals. The creaminess in the dal is wonderfully complimented with the subtle flavours from the whole spice. A simple tadka with mustard oil, cumin seeds and green chillies are poured on top before serving.
Traditionally it is made using Horse gram Dal also known as Kulith but you can blend any other dal like Arhar Dal (Toor Dal), Moong Dal and Urad dal as well. The dish is rich in protein and will be perfect for your everyday meals.
If you are looking for more Dal recipes here are some :
- 1 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal) , soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup White Urad Dal (Split) , soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing) For the Tadka
- 1/2 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Green Chilli , slit
- 1 teaspoon Mustard oil , for tadka
How to make Pahari Style Phanu Recipe - Delicious Mixed Dal
To begin making the Pahari Style Phanu Recipe-Toor Dal & Urad Dal, soak the dals for a couple of hours and keep it ready.
Add the soaked dal them into the pressure cooker along with chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder and salt.
Pressure cook the dal for at least 6 whistles, allow the pressure to release naturally and open the lid.
Keep the dal back on the stove, add a pinch of hing, adjust the salt if required and also adjust the consistency of the Phanu by adding little more water. Mish mash it little bit to get a good creamy consistency of the Phanu recipe.
To make the tadka for the Phanu recipe, heat mustard oil over a tadka pan, once it is hot, add cumin seeds, green chilli, ginger and garlic and allow it to sizzle for few seconds.
Pour the tadka over the Phanu and mix well and serve hot.