Amritsari Chole With Kala Chana Recipe
One of the top selling dish in any Punjabi dhabas, this recipe is cooked slowly and later simmered in onion tomato puree along with few spices.
Amritsari Chole with Kala Chana is one of the top selling dish in any Punjabi dhabas. Cooked slowly and later simmered in an onion tomato puree along with few spices. They taste great with poori, chapati, naan, roti etc. Unlike regular white chana, these are made with black kala chana. Absolutely lip smacking.
Serve Amritsari Chole With Kala Chana along with Puri and Boondi Raita for a weekday meal.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Kala Chana recipes such as
- 250 grams Kala Chana (Brown Chickpeas) , soaked
- 2 Onion , medium sized
- 2 Tomato , pureed
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- Asafoetida (hing) , a pinch
- Butter (Salted) , + Oil (as required)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Chana Masala Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) ,
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 Tea bags
- Salt , to taste
- Water , as required
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
How to make Amritsari Chole With Kala Chana Recipe
To begin making the Amritsari Chole With Kala Chana recipe, soak chana overnight or for 8-9 hours.
Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles with required water along with a tea bag. Keep aside for the pressure to release.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add cumin and bay leaf. Once they splutter add hing, onion, green chilli and ginger garlic paste. Saute until translucent.
Add tomato puree, salt to taste and saute till tomtao is soft and mushy. Next add all the dry spices one by one that is salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, chana masala powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
Now add cooked channa and mix. Add water as required. Keep the flame on low and bring to boil. Let it cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Finally, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve Amritsari Chole With Kala Chana along with Puri and Boondi Raita for a weekday meal.