Lentils and Mixed Grains Kichada Recipe
Lentils and Mixed Grains Kichadi Recipe is made from lentils and grains and is a main course food by itself. This protein rich preparation is sumptuous and healthy. The grains need to be soaked in advance. Right mix of masala brings out the goodness of lentils and rice as a delightful joy. Decorate Lentils and Mixed Grains Kichadi Recipe with coriander leaves, a lemon wedge, onions or carrots to make an appetising presentation.
Here are a few other lentil recipes you shall find interesting:
The contest is in association with Preethi Kitchen Appliances.
- 1/4 cups Broken wheat Rava (Dalia/ Godumai Rava) , soaked for 3 hours
- 1/4 cup Bajra (seeds) , soaked for 3 hours
- 1/4 cup Jowar Seeds , soaked for 3 hours
- 1/4 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1/4 cup Masoor Dal (Whole)
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 4 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 2 inch Ginger , crushed
- 2-3 Green Chilli
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1/4 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 2 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 3 teaspoons Garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- Cooking oil , for cooking
- 3 Onions , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Salt , to taste
How to make Lentils and Mixed Grains Kichada Recipe
To prepare the Lentils and Mixed Grains Kichada Recipe, first get all the ingredients handy.
Drain water from the soaked wheat and bajra and grind them in a mixer grinder to make a coarse paste.
Pour water (5 cups) in a deep kadai just enough to cook the coarse grain mixture.
Add 1 cup of rice and chana dal to the boiling mixture.
After 10 minutes when the rice is half done, add in masur dal, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Allow it to cook further for about 10 minutes on a medium flame.
Take another deep frying pan to heat oil. Once the oil is hot, fry in onions till golden brown.
Add in green chillies, ginger garlic paste and jeera powder and mix it well.
Simmer the flame to toss in red chilli powder, garam masala powder, curry leaves and hing powder. Saute for half a minute.
Slowly add cooked cereals to it and mix until the masala blends in it evenly.
Garnish the Lentils and Mixed Grains Kichada Recipe with a generous pinch of finely chopped coriander, a few rings of onion and lemon for the dish to look as yummy as it tastes.