Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry
Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry is a fragrant and spicy chicken curry made Assamese style, with kaffir lime and sesame seeds. Served best with some rice.
Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry is a North Eastern way of cooking chicken in simple spices, with addition of sesame seeds. The addition of Kaffir lime leaves gives it a wonderful fragrance. Kaffir lime leaves are highly aromatic and are a great addition to spicy soups and curries.
Serve Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry can be served alongside Jeera rice or plain steamed rice for a simple comforting meal.
Here are a few more Assamese delicacies that you ought to try
- 800 grams Chicken , cut into pieces
- 3 Onions , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic , crushed
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Sesame seeds (Til seeds) , ground to paste (6 tablespoons paste needed)
- 1 teaspoon Kaffir lime leaves , ground to paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Fresh Red chillies , ground to paste (Adjust quantity)
- 2 teaspoons Kaffir lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Mustard oil
- 1-1/2 cups Hot water
How to make Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry
To begin making Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry, heat mustard oil in a deep bottomed pan or wok.
Add the chopped onions and fry for 2 minutes add the ginger and garlic paste and stir fry over low heat until soft and starting to colour.
Add the chicken and fry for another 5 minutes. Then add turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt and sugar; mix well.
Now add sesame paste and chilli paste and fry well till combined.
Add hot water, mix and cover the pan with a lid and simmer till the chicken is cooked and sauce reduced.
Simmer until the liquid has reduced to a thick sauce, enough to coat the back of the spoon and drip slowly.
Then add Kaffir lime leaves paste and juice. Give it a quick stir. Switch off the flame and cover the lid for a few minutes.
Serve Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry hot with Jeera rice or plain steamed rice and Kaffir lime Wedges.
Assamese Sesame Kaffir Lime Chicken Curry is part of the North Eastern Recipe Contest