The best way to lead a healthy life is know what goes into your food. To know your food you need to have good knowledge about the Ingredients that you use in your day to day cooking. Root vegetables are one of the ingredients that has always been our household Key vegetables for over 5000 years so far. They have also been a staple food for most of the South American and Asian dishes. It is often assumed that it is tough to make a dish out of these root vegetables but at Archana’s Kitchen we make it simpler for you by listing out few recipes that can be made delicious and healthy as well.
In general all the root Vegetables have these Vital Nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Potassium and Dietary Fibers. It is in fact a natural ingredient when compared to most of the unadulterated version of complex carbohydrates. So these root vegetables become the best way to replace few grains and can create a Gluten-Free diet that you are seeking for.
The best season for these vegetable are during spring, when they are in season they sweeter and tend to be more juicer. And the important tip to select root vegetables is by checking if it is harder. The smooth texture will yield a better produce. Always select the vegetable without any bruise or gashes.
List of few Root Vegetables that you should know :
Most popular among all, they are sweet and has a natural orange color. Carrots are the healthiest snack as they can be eaten raw. It can be paired with any vegetables and goes well with spices.
- Rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Antioxidants etc.
- Prevents Heart Diseases and regulates blood pressure for Diabetics
- Rich in Beta- carotene which reduces risk of Cancer
- Improves Eyesight
Earthy sweet root vegetable known to be one of the Superfood in the list. Best when it is roasted, shredded or just steamed. It imparts a beautiful dark violet color.
- Rich in Beta-carotene and betalains
- Improves your Stamina Level
- Helps in Better Brain function
- Lightens your Liver (Reduces Fat Accumulation)
Sweet Potato and Yam
Most user friendly and palatable vegetable which can mashed, grated, chopped or even pureed in soups etc. They are great in both savory as well sweet dishes.
- Rich in Fiber, Sodium, Protein and Potassium
- Supports Weight Loss
- Helps to keep your Skin Healthy
- Anti-Cancer benefits
Subtle vegetable which is versatile. Due to which it is paired mostly with strong flavored vegetable. They are treated same as the beets. Best when used in soups.
- Rich in phytonutrients and high in Calcium
- Balances Blood pressure
- Fights cancer and cures many heart diseases
- Reduces Cholesterol level
A power house due to its rich in natural properties. Has a sweet, spicy and slight harsh flavor due to which it can be used in desserts as well savory dishes.
- Rich in antibiotics and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Gastrointestinal Relief
- Relief of Nausea and Vomiting during pregnancy
- Protects against colorectal cancer