By far the healthiest dish that one can put together in a jiffy, is Salads ! Refreshing, Crunchy, Sweet, Spicy and Tangy are a few flavour notes that we come to think of while relishing health in a bowl. A medley of any vegetables or fruits of your choice tossed in a simple earthy dressing of salt, pepper and a splash of lemon juice and your good to go with a healthy portion of an Indian Style Salad.
Needless to say that it's a must to include a salad to almost all your meals, it is a great way to beat the summer heat, is to have loads of these light and nutritious salads.
Our Indian Salad Recipes are made simple with a few Indian style dressings like that of a simple salt, pepper, lemon juice, sometimes adding a twist with tamarind paste, sometimes with green chilies and many other times made North Indian chaat style along with green chutney or chaat masala, otherwise made with an addition of a classic South Indian Tadka along with coconut.
You can create your own appetizing Indian Salad Recipes by adding a desi flavouring ingredient to the dressing and toss it with the local produce of the region and your simple and healthy Indian Salad is ready.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while making your salad:
- Include fruits/vegetables that are high in fiber, which ensures it keeps you satiated for a longer period of time.
- Ensure the the combination of fruits/vegetables are of food groups that will help create a well balanced dish. Right amount of proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- Try to add some kind of nuts to your salads- walnuts, peanuts, almonds. They are powerhouse of energy, full of natural fibre, and proteins.
- Most importantly, choose fruits/vegetables that are in season and the ones that are grown in your region.
- Do not store salads, make them fresh and consume within a couple of hours.
- Ensure your salads are colourful. Green more than anything else -green leafy vegetables, beans, broccoli, gooseberry and the like are packed with water, fiber and various important nutrients the body needs on a day-to-day basis. You can also read this article on- Health Benefits of Eating Multi Colored Fruits And Vegetables
So put on your aprons, bring out the knives and get started, our collection of Indian Salad Recipes are ready for you.