Hing or asafoetida is the dried and powdered resin which is native to Iran and Afghanistan but now mainly cultivated in India. It is one of the important kitchen ingredients used in many Indian recipes. Asafoetida in its raw form is sold as blocks which look like pieces of shiny of resin. However in the stores it is more commonly found in it's powdered form.
Asafoetida along known as hing or peringayam is used a lot in Indian cooking and more so in South indian cooking. It is used as a condiment in flavoring sabzi, dal, sambar, rasam, poriyals and more.
You will be amazed by the number of benefits of Asafoetida for our health
- It helps in digestion. It plays an important role in flatulence in the body, especially in babies when they have colic.
- It helps in people suffering from common cold and allergies. It triggers the production of natural antibodies in the body helps in easing respiration.
- It also helps flush out toxins from the human body, by balancing the Ph levels in the blood.
- It also helps people suffering from indigestion.
- Asafoetida is a natural antioxidant which can bring relief to your menstrual pains. Add a pinch to a cup of buttermilk and drink away to feel better.
It's always important to choose the right kind of asafoetida, you need to smell its intense pungent flavors when you open the box. Below is one of my favorite recipe which uses asafoetida. The Murungai Keerai Sambar, where asafoetida is a core ingredient.
Murungai Keerai Sambar Recipe is a delicious sambar made from drumstick leaves cooked along with sambar onions, mooli, sambar powder in tamarind water. It tastes great along with some hot steamed rice topped with ghee.