Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu Recipe-Sweet Tangy Vegetable Stew
Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu Recipe is a delicious one pot vegetable curry with right amount of spice and tanginess. Served best with some steamed rice and palya.
Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu Recipe-Sweet Tangy Vegetable Stew is a delicious one pot vegetable curry with right amount of spice and tanginess. The curry can have a different choice of your vegetable but we have used drumstick, bottle gourd and potato. The base for the dish is obtained by grinding a handful of whole spice and adding it along with the vegetable to make a comforting stew.
Did you know ? Drumstick pods helps to build strong bones, it is very good for pregnant women also. Drumstick pods which are known as moringa in local language is rich in calcium, Iron and vitamins. They are also have properties such purifying the blood, improves digestion and protects against infection.
If you are looking for more Andhra Recipes here are some:
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , skin peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 Drumstick , cut into 1 inch stick
- 1 cup Bottle gourd (lauki) , chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup Pearl onions (Sambar Onions) , chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , slit
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1 cup Tamarind Water
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste Ingredients to grind
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1 tablespoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera) To Temper
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
How to make Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu Recipe-Sweet Tangy Vegetable Stew
To begin making the Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu, keep the vegetables ready, Heat a flat skillet with oil.
Add the chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, dry red chillies, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and fry them till they become light brown and a wonderful aroma comes out.
Cool it down and add little water and grind it into a smooth creamy paste and keep it aside.
Take a pressure cooker with oil, add onion and saute till they turn translucent. Add in green chillies and saute for 10 seconds. Add in vegetables, potato, drumstick and bottle. Sprinkle with turmeric powder and give it a mix.
Add in ground paste, jaggery, tamarind water and salt. Add about 1 cup water and pressure cook for about 2 whistle.
Once done, switch off the heat, allow the pressure to release by itself. Heat a small pan for tempering, add oil, once it gets hot add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter and add the curry leaves and hing. Leave it again for 10 more seconds.
Add urad dal and chilli powder and pour it over the Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu and serve.