Assamese Bhendir Sorsori Recipe (Okra In Mustard Sauce)
Yummy side dish made of ladies finger that is delicious and is filled with flavour.
Bhendir Sorsori is a traditional Assamese vegetarian dish where Okra is cooked in mustard sauce. Either black or yellow mustard can be used in this recipe.This recipe is an ideal everyday meal option for okra lovers. Serve Assamese Bhendir Sorsori (Okra In Mustard Sauce) with tawa paratha, steamed rice & Garlic Dal Recipe to make a complete meal.
If you like okra side dish, here are more recipes made from ladies finger
- 500 grams Bhindi (Lady Finger/Okra) , cut to 1-inch (remove head and tail)
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Panch Phoran Masala
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 2 Green Chillies , slit For mustard paste :
- 2 tablespoons Mustard seeds , (black or yellow, I used black), soaked for 20 min
- 4 tablespoons Water , (adjust)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi) , 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
How to make Assamese Bhendir Sorsori Recipe (Okra In Mustard Sauce)
To prepare Assamese Bhendir Sorsori recipe (Okra In Mustard Sauce), soak mustard in water for 15-20 mins before cooking.
In a mixer grinder, add ginger paste and turmeric powder with mustard and grind to make a fine paste.
Collect the paste and keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai and add bay leaf and panch phoron and wait till they crackle.
Now add okra or bhindi and fry.
Add slit green chilies along with turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to taste.
Cook till the okra is semi soft and then add the mustard paste and mix well.
Cover the lid and cook for another 5-6 mins in low flame such that the flavors incorporate well.