Bhogichi Bhaji Recipe (Maharashtrian Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry)
'Bhogichi Bhaji' is a traditional winter recipe cooked all across Maharashtra on the day of 'Bhogi' which is a day prior to 'Makar Sankranti.' This dish celebrates the seasonal bounty of winter vegetables along with groundnuts and sesame seeds which provide the much needed warmth and nourishment to the body during winters. It is packed with all essential nutrients and vitamins from seasonal vegetables like red carrots, fresh green Chana (Chola/chickpea/harbhara), flat green beans (Val Papdi) and Ber (Indian Jujube).
As the sun commences its journey northward (Uttarayan), the harvest festival of' Makar Sankranti' (also known as 'Lohri ' ,'Pongal' in different parts of India) is celebrated. 'Bhogichi bhaji' recipe is being passed from generation to generation and is an integral part of this festive celebration.
Serve 'Bhogichi Bhaji' with Multigrain Bhakri or Bajra Til Bhakri with a dollop of fresh homemade ghee or butter on top. Plan your lunch or dinner menu with this recipe and enjoy the goodness of the seasonal produce.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Vegetable recipes such as
- 2 Carrots (Gajjar) , red, peeled and diced
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , peeled and diced
- 3 Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , stalks removed and diced
- 3/4 cup Hara Chana , shelled, optionally use fresh green peas)
- 10 Avarekai (Broad Beans) , strings removed and cut.
- 5 Ber , washed and stems removed (optional)
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Groundnut powder , roasted
- 1 tablespoon Sesame powder , roasted Ingredients for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for garnishing
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , Handful, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
How to make Bhogichi Bhaji Recipe (Maharashtrian Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry)
To begin making Bhogichi Bhaji, put a wok on medium heat and add one tablespoon of oil.
Add the mustard and sesame seeds and allow them to crackle.
Once they crackle, add the green chilies, hing, Goda Masala and turmeric powder. Allow the spices to roast for about a minute till nice aroma comes out. You can add more green chilies to make the 'Bhogichi Bhaji' spicier. Be careful not to burn the spices.
Add the potatoes, green chana and the chopped flat beans. Saute the vegetables and let them blend with the spices and masala. Add salt to taste,sprinkle some water, mix and cook covered for 10-12 minutes, till the vegetables are half cooked.
Add the remaining vegetables - brinjals and carrots and stir all the ingredients together. Cook covered till the vegetables are cooked through. Add 1-2 tablespoon water if required, so that the vegetables do not burn the bottom of the pan. The water creates steam that will help the vegetables to cook faster.
When the vegetables are almost done add the Ber, sesame powder and groundnut powder and stir well to combine. Cook uncovered for another couple of more minutes. Check the salt and spice at this stage and adjust to suit your taste.
Finally, garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves and lime juice.