Chargrilled Eggplant Tabbouleh Recipe
Tabbouleh is a popular Middle Eastern salad that is usually served as a part of a Mezze.
Tabbouleh is a popular Middle Eastern salad that is usually served as a part of a Mezze. The addition of chargrilled eggplant adds a distinct smoky flavour to the salad. You can adjust the proportion of ingredients according to your taste and availability. For a gluten free version, the bulgur or cracked wheat can be substituted by cracked millets, corn or Quinoa.
You may also like other eggplant recipes, check out them and try at your home.
- 1/2 cup Broken Wheat (Dalia/ Godumai Rava)
- 1 cup Parsley leaves , chopped
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina) , chopped
- 2 Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , sliced
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 2 Cucumbers , chopped
- 6 Spring Onion (Bulb & Greens) , leaves, and bulb chopped separately
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Paprika powder
- 2 teaspoon Sumac , powder, optional
- 3 Lime Wedges , chopped (optional)
- Salt , to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil , as required to grill the eggplants
How to make Chargrilled Eggplant Tabbouleh Recipe
To begin making the Chargrilled Eggplant Tabbouleh Recipe first, pour 1/2 cup hot water over the cracked wheat. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
After half an hour, drain the water completely from the cracked wheat.
Heat a grill pan and drizzle some olive oil. Grill the sliced eggplants (in batches) on medium to high heat till just tender and brown on both sides (about 2-3 minutes)
Cool, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
In a large mixing bowl mix the cracked wheat, parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumbers, spring onions, onion greens, grilled eggplant pieces, preserved lime (if using).
Toss everything together and add salt, pepper, lime juice,olive oil and toss again.
Serve immediately sprinkled with Sumac powder (optional) or refrigerate for 1-2 hours and then serve.