Coriander Tamarind Millet Rice Recipe
Here is a little twist to tamarind rice with lots of coriander and goodness of millets, perfect for a working day.
Tamarind Rice is a common feature in a South Indian kitchen, but mostly loved everywhere, here is a little twist to tamarind rice with lots of coriander and goodness of millets, perfect for a working day. This is a low GI recipe suitable for diabetics. You can make it for your weekday dinners when you want to eat some healthy yet tasty.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Millet recipes such as
- 1/2 cup Foxtail Millet , little
- 2 Green Chillies , adjustable
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 8 Curry leaves
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 6 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped (leave bit for garnishing)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/2 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 tablespoons Raw Peanuts (Moongphali)
- Asafoetida (hing) , a pinch
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Tamarind , extracted (1/2 a lemon size)
- Oil , as needed
- Salt , to taste
How to make Coriander Tamarind Millet Rice Recipe
In a vessel add 1/2 cup millets with one cup of water and bring this to a boil, turn the heat to simmer and cook the millets covered with a steam vent cracked open for 8-10 minutes or until the water evaporates. let it sit for 2 minutes and tranfer this to another bowl and let it cool completely.
In a mixie jar add coriander, green chillies, cumin powder, garlic, tamarind extract and salt ,grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
In a pan heat some oil, crackle the mustard seeds, followed by urad dal, channa dal, peanuts, roast them on low heat to golden .
Now add the asafoetida, turmeric, red chilli and curry leaves.
Add the ground paste and saute until the raw smell disappears approximately 4 minutes. Add a tiny splash of water if the mixture becomes very dry.
Finally add the cooked millets and gently mix so that the mixture is uniformly applied. Adjust the salt if required.
Top with chopped coriander and serve.