Kurma or korma is a delicious rich creamy gravy usually made of coconut, curd, nut paste, spices and curd or milk or cream along with vegetables or meat. Almost all kurma curries pair well with a roti, appam or any variety rice like pulaos and biryanis or ghee rice.
Each region of the Indian Subcontinent has a slight variation to the kurma curry. There are variations in base, garnish or spice combinations. The best tasting kurma is the one with the yogurt base infused with whole garam masalas like cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, fennel seeds. Most of the korma curries in the north have a cream base but in the south coconut and poppy seeds are vastly used. This changes the taste of the kurma completely.
Kurmas are a true vegetarian delight and best part is you can include as many or as few vegetables as you like in a kurma. The most common vegetables used are potatoes, peas, cauliflower and carrots.
Here is a collection of Vegetarian Kurma Curry Combinations that you can have for dinner or even a light lunch. Do try them and let us know how you like it.
1. Mixed Vegetable Sagu, Idiyappam, & Tomato Cucumber onion raita
2. Munthiri Masala Kurma, Kerala Style Appam & Boiled Peanut Raita
3. South Indian Vegetable Kurma, Kerala Style Wheat Parotta & Dill Cucumber Raita
4. Paal-katti Chettinad Curry,Whole Wheat Lachha Paratha & Coriander Tadka Raita
5.Kara Boondi Kurma, Coconut Rice & Methi Raita Flavoured With Garlic
6.Tomato Kurma, Hyderabadi Vegetable biryani & Onion Raita
7.Karnataka Style Avarekalu Sagu, Malabar Parotta & Lauki Raita
8.Tamil Nadu Style Paneer Kurma, Phulka & Cucumber Green Chilli Raita
9. White Vegetable Kurma, Wheat Parotta & Mint And Pomegranate Raita
10. Brahmin Style vegetable Kurma, Ragi Wheat Phulka & Beetroot Carrot Raita
11. Mixed Vegetable Kurma, Veechu Parotta & Pumpkin Raita
12. Chettinad Beetroot Kurma, Masala Roti & Carrot Tadka Raita
13. Aloo Matar Korma, Ujju Rotti & Gajar Amla Raita
14. Kerala Style Cauliflower Kurma, Carrot and Ginger Spiced Dosa & Burani Raita
15. Chettinad Pattani Kurma, Malabar Parotta & Tomato Onion Tadka Raita
16. Cauliflower Kurma, Karnataka Style Vegetable Pulao & Carrot Raita with Peanuts
17. Easy Potato Kurma, Coconut Rice Pulao & Pudina & Dhaniya Raita
18. Thengai Paal Kurma, Whole Wheat Onion Stuffed Kulcha & Boondi Raita
19. Kollu Vadai Kurma, Ghee Rice & Spring Onion and Peanut Raita
20. Kongunadu Urulai Kurma, Spicy Neer Dosa & Kollu Pachadi
21. Kongunadu Special Thakkali Kurma, Idli & Palak Raita