Eggplant In Coconut Milk Gravy Recipe -Baingan Masala Sabzi
Try this Stuffed Brinjal in a Coconut Milk Gravy recipe for a a wholesome meal with Ghee rice or Pulao
Peanut and sesame seeds stuffed Brinjals/Eggplant in a Coconut Milk Gravy tastes absolutely delicious. Eggplant is a vegetable that absorbs flavors of all kinds from delicate to spicy and tangy. You can choose to use tiny eggplant and fill it with peanut sesame mixture. If you don't find small eggplants readily you can use large eggplant and use the filling mixture in the coconut milk gravy.
Serve Eggplant In Coconut Milk Gravy Recipe (Baingan Masala Sabzi) with Tawa paratha or phulka, coupled with Dhaba Style Spicy Ghee Rice Recipe Made From Whole Spices for a complete meal.
Here are a few more gravy dishes to try
Ingredients to be used as a filling or in the gravy
- 10 Small Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , cut to inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 1 tablespoon Gram flour (besan)
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for the Gravy
- 1 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini)
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder , (optional)
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , few freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
How to make Eggplant In Coconut Milk Gravy Recipe -Baingan Masala Sabzi
To prepare Eggplant In Coconut Milk Gravy Recipe (Baingan Masala Sabzi), combine all the filling ingredients in a mini food processor and make a smooth paste. Set aside.
Slit the brinjals cross wise just half way through, so it remains as a whole. The slit should be just enough to place the filling in. Stuff the above filling mixture in the slit brinjals.
If you are not using small brinjals, then use the filling mixture directly into the gravy just after adding the tomato puree.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan (I like to use a cast iron casserole for cooking as it helps in slow and even cooking of this dish).
Add the cumin seeds and grated ginger; allow it to crackle. When the seeds crackle, add the tomatoes, filling mixtrue, turmeric powder coriander powder, salt, garam masala powder, chilli powder, jaggery and saute for a few minutes.Place the stuffed brinjal pieces in the pan adding 1/4 cup of water over it.
Place the stuffed brinjal pieces in the pan adding 1/4 cup of water over it.
Turn the heat to low, and allow the mixture to simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, take care not to split the brinjal.Towards the last 10 minutes of the cooking process; stir in the coconut milk and cook until the brinjal is soft and tender - when you insert a toothpick it should be soft and go in smoothly.
Towards the last 10 minutes of the cooking process; stir in the coconut milk and cook until the brinjal is soft and tender - when you insert a toothpick it should be soft and go in smoothly.
Once cooked, turn off the heat and stir in lots of chopped coriander leaves and allow the vegetable to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy Eggplant In Coconut Milk Gravy Recipe (Baingan Masala Sabzi) along with pulav, phulka's ;or puri's.