Ellu Kuzhambu Recipe- Sesame Seeds Kuzhambu
Ellu Kuzhambu Recipe is a tasty mouth watering south indian gravy made with ground sesame seeds mixed in a tangy, spicy and sweet gravy. Serve it with Steamed Rice or Dosa.
Ellu Kuzhambu is a mouthwatering curry made with sesame seeds . It is a South Indian recipe which people usually serve with rice, appam or dosa. The sesame seeds are ground and then mixed with a tangy and sweet gravy made of tomatoes, tamarind and indian masalas. You can also add in extra vegetables to enrich the gravy with extra flavors and nutrients.
Did You Know: Sesame seeds have many potential health benefits and have been used in folk medicine for thousands of years. They may protect against heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis.
If you like this recipe, you can also try
- 1 cup Pearl onions (Sambar Onions) , chopped
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , cut into cubes
- 2 Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , as per required
- 25 grams Tamarind
- 1 tablespoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil For seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds) For roast and grind
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
How to make Ellu Kuzhambu Recipe- Sesame Seeds Kuzhambu
To begin making the Ellu Kuzhambu-Sesame Seeds Kuzhambu Recipe, prepare tamarind extract soaking tamarind in 2 glasses of water.
Into a preheated pan add sesame seeds and black sesame seeds and dry roast for a few seconds till the sesame release a nice aroma and start to pop. Transfer into a bowl and keep aside.
Next in the same pan dry roast urad dal and chana dal till the dals turn golden brown in colour. Once done remove into a bowl and keep aside to cool.
Finally dry roast the cumin seeds till they start to change colour and transfer to the bowl with the dals. Once the sesame seeds and the dals have cooled down add them to the mixer grinder along with the black pepper powder and grind to a powder.
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and methi seeds. Let the seeds splutter and add onions & saute till golden brown.
Once the onions have browned add tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder & salt, sauté till tomato turn soft and mushy. Once the tomatoes have turned soft add the tamarind extract & boil until the raw smell of the tamarind vanishes.
Once done add the ground sesame powder and boil Ellu Kuzhambu for 2 to 3 minutes. After 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat and your Ellu Kuzhambu is ready to be served.