Gavar Ki Sabji Recipe (Cluster Beans Curry)
Guar (cluster beans) or Gavar ki Sabji is a simple side dish which goes well with Rice or Roti. The addition of spices compliments the distinct, slightly bitter flavour of these legumes. Tomato adds a nice tang to the dish. Making it in the pressure cooker or pressure pan, reduces the cooking time. You can alternatively make it in a pan/wok.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other dry vegetable recipes such as
- Bengali Phool Gobhir Paturi Recipe
- Spicy Coconut Peanut Stuffed Baby Brinjal Recipe
- Bharwa Besan Mirch Sabzi Recipe
- 2 cups Gawar Phali (Kothavarangai / Cluster beans) , cleaned and cut
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 3 Garlic , cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , as required, chopped for garnishing
How to make Gavar Ki Sabji Recipe (Cluster Beans Curry)
To begin making the Gavar ki Sabji, first heat oil in a pressure cooker or pressure pan.
Add the mustard seeds and once they splutter add the cumin seeds.
Add hing, turmeric, garlic, onion, red chilli powder, ginger and coriander powder. Stir and sauté for a few seconds. Add tomatoes and guar beans, stir well.
Add salt and about 1/4 cup water. Cook for 1 whistle and 5 minutes on low flame or till the beans become soft. Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
Giving up a lucrative career tinkering with Analytical equipments, Madhuli Ajay chose to tinker in her Food lab- developing new recipes & satisfying her culinary travel cravings. She has been sharing heirloom recipes on her blog 'My Foodcourt' for the past 9 yrs. Madhuli bakes to feed her soul. Testing recipes & photographing food for a cookbook, has fuelled her food photography passion. Based in the gorgeous 'Wine Capital' of India Nashik, Madhuli also loves spending time in her little kitchen garden.