Healthy Fulkopir Paturi Recipe (Bengali Style Cauliflower Dumplings)
This Fulkopir Paturi recipe is a vegetarian twist to the traditional Bengali ‘Paturi’, which is typically made with fish. Fish are marinated with spices dominated by mustard and then steam cooked in a banana leaf. In this vegetarian Paturi recipe, 'Fulkopir' or Cauliflower is grated and marinated in a spicy paste. Since this dish is steam cooked, there is very less use of oil. The flavours of the marinade remains intact after steaming.
If you like this recipe, fill your Bengali recipe cookbook with more authentic recipes of Bengal, like-
- 1 cup Cauliflower (gobi) , grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Mustard oil
- Salt , salt to taste To Be Ground For Marination
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds , powder using mortar and pestle
- 3/4 teaspoon Poppy seeds , powder using mortar and pestle
- 2 Green Chillies , chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 4 Garlic , cloves For Steaming
- 1/2 Banana leaf , to line the steamer
- 1/2 Banana leaf , lightly toss in heat and cut them into squares and remove the stem
- 10 Toothpicks
- Sunflower Oil , few drops for greasing
How to make Healthy Fulkopir Paturi Recipe (Bengali Style Cauliflower Dumplings)
To prepare Healthy Fulkopir Paturi Recipe, wash and grate cauliflower and soak in hot water for 2-3 minutes.
Drain the water, squeeze the grated cauliflower, and set them aside in a wide bowl.
Grind together all the ingredients given under 'To Be Ground For Marination' using very little water to make a thick paste.
Add the ground paste, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, chilli powder, mustard oil, and cumin seeds to the cauliflower.
Mix them well using your hands, cover and set it aside for 45 minutes.
Line a Steamer with banana leaf.
Take small portions of the marinated vegetables and shape them into dumplings using your hand.
Place the shaped portion in the center of the cut banana leaf squares, close with banana leaf and seal them using a toothpick.
Repeat this method for the remaining marinated cauliflower dumplings.
Steam for 12- 15 minutes.