Instant Puliyodharai Powder Recipe (Puliyogare/Pulihora Powder)
A favourite picnic dish made with a sour tamarind flavored paste and also a fantastic lunch box dish.
Puliyodharai/Puliyogare/Pulihora is a traditional rice dish that is tangy and spicy. This tasty dish finds it's unique place in the menu of all major festivals in South India. It is also a custom to make this rice in weddings and on the third day of pongal, Kaanum Pongal. It is a favourite picnic dish as it becomes tastier as the sour tamarind flavor deepens with time so it is a fantastic lunch box dish also.
The Instant Puliyodharai Powder that can be mixed with rice directly and your Puliyodharai/Puliyogare is ready within 5-7 minutes. You can make a large batch and store it in an airtight container and it will help you to prepare this rice quickly even for a larger number of people.
You can also try more such delicious rice recipes like:
- Lemon Rice Recipe (Elumichai Sadam/Chitranna),
- Thengai Sadam Recipe (A Quick and Healthy Coconut Rice).
100 grams Servings
- 100 grams Tamarind
- 1/4 cup Jaggery , powdered
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt , to taste For roasting
- 1/2 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1/2 cup White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1/2 cup Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 10 Dry Red Chillies , gundu or milagai)
- 1 tablespoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon Melon seeds
- 1 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil For tempering
- 1/2 cup Raw Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 1 tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- 5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 cup Curry leaves , washed and pat dried
How to make Instant Puliyodharai Powder Recipe (Puliyogare/Pulihora Powder)
To begin making Instant Puliyodharai/ Puliyogare/Pulihora Powder Recipe, place a kadai on medium heat, dry roast all the ingredients given under 'for roasting' till the dals start getting roasted and start releasing aroma. Turn off the heat and keep it aside.
Roast the dry red chili in 1 teaspoon sesame oil for 1-2 minutes on low heat. Keep this aside, let it cool.
In the same pan, lightly roast tamarind for just one minute on low heat. Keep it aside. We will now proceed to make the tempering ingredients.
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Roast the peanuts for 2-3 minutes. keep it aside. In the remaining oil, fry the curry leaves till they turn crisp.
Do not brown the leaves. Take out the curry leaves and add mustard in the remaining oil and take out the mustard seeds once they crackle.
Powder the ingredients that are given under for roasting along with jaggery, tamarind, hing and salt to taste.
Mix the tempered ingredients with the ground powder and allow the mixture to cool completely.
Transfer the contents to an air tight container and store in a cool dry place.
You can also add Sesame, flax, melon seeds , delicately roasted them on low flame and enhance the nutrition quotient of the powder.
Instant Puliyodharai/ Puliyogare/Pulihora Powder can be stored in an air tight container for 3-4 months.
Refer to 'Method to Make the Puliyodharai / Puliyogare Recipe' in Puliyodharai / Puliyogare Recipe to prepare the Puliyodharai / Puliyogare rice.