Italian Home Style Ravioli in Lemon Recipe-Garlic White Sauce Recipe
The lemon- garlic sauce perfectly complements the ravioli made with cottage cheese and is refreshingly garnished with an Italian herb condiment called 'Gremolata' which is mint, parsley, lemon zest and garlic.
Italian Home Style Ravioli in Lemon - Garlic White Sauce Recipe has ravioli stuffed with amaranth and cottage cheese and is flavored with nutmeg. The lemon- garlic sauce perfectly complements the ravioli and is refreshingly garnished with the Italian herb condiment 'Gremolata'.
'Ravioli' is a traditional home style Pasta that originated in Italy. The pasta dough is flattened into thin layers and is usually filled with ricotta cheese or meat. They are then cooked and served in a sauce specially prepared for the ravioli.
A wholesome and delicious meal in itself, the Italian Home Style Ravioli in Lemon - Garlic White Sauce Recipe is served along with slices of Mac & Cheese Crostini, Fresh Garden Salad and a glass of wine.
Here are a few more Italian dishes which might interest you
- Instead of cutting the ravioli dough into circles, you can cut them into long strips of equal sizes of about 2 inches wide.
- Spoon the 1-inch width filling into the strips with an empty dough-space of almost 1-inch to press-close dumplings. Wet the corners and place another strip on top, cut them into squares of 2 inches and seal the corners by pressing down with a fork.
- You can also use coloured bell peppers in the sauce, optionally.
Ingredients For Ravioli Dough
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (Maida) , durum wheat flour
- 1 Whole Eggs , whisked
- 2 teaspoons Del Monte Black Olives
- 1 pinch Salt Ingredients For The Filling
- 100 grams Paneer (Homemade Cottage Cheese)
- 15-20 Red Amaranth Leaves , or spinach leaves
- 1 pinch Nutmeg powder , ( or you can grate nutmeg directly on the filling)
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Salt , to taste Ingredients For The Lemon- Garlic Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Butter (unsalted)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 6-7 Cherry tomatoes , halved
- 10 Del Monte Green Olives , whole
- 5 Del Monte Black Olives , sliced
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Fresh cream
- 1 cup Milk
- 5-6 Sichuan peppercorns , freshly crushed with mortar and pestle
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli flakes , (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Cheddar cheese , grated
- Salt , to taste Ingredients For Gremolata
- 2 teaspoons Lemon zest , grated
- 15-20 Parsley leaves , finely chopped
- 10-12 Mint Leaves (Pudina) , finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , grated
How to make Italian Home Style Ravioli in Lemon Recipe-Garlic White Sauce Recipe
To prepare Italian Home Style Ravioli in Lemon - Garlic White Sauce Recipe, get prepped up with all the ingredients including chopping veggies, sorting the best baby red amaranth leaves, grated lemon peel, and cheese, and crushing peppercorns. Halve the tomatoes and whisk eggs too.
In a wide mixing bowl, add flour, salt, oil, and egg.
Mix well with your hands and bring the flour together by adding a little water at a time and knead for 5-7 minutes to get a soft dough.
Cover the dough with another bowl or cling wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.
Crumble the cottage cheese and add finely chopped baby spinach/amaranth. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Mix well to combine and set it aside.
Heat a wide pan with butter over low flame.
Add the chopped garlic and onions and sauté till they turn light brown.
Add fresh cream and keep stirring over a low flame, till it starts bubbling.
Add the milk, black pepper, chilli flakes, and cheese.
Once they come to a boil, add the chopped tomatoes, olives and immediately switch off.
Now add the lemon zest, salt and set it aside.
Combine all the ingredients given under 'gremolata', mint leaves, parsley leaves, lemon and garlic.
Prepare it just before adding it to the ravioli.
Remove the dough from refrigerator. Lightly dust your working space. Pinch out a lemon size portion of the dough and roll it out into a thin sheet. Using a large circle shaped cookie cutters, cut the rolled sheets of dough into smaller circles.
Spoon the filling into the center of the each circle.
Using your finger, lightly dampen the circumference of the circle with water. Seal the edges without any gap.
Repeat the same for the entire batch.
You can alternately use ravioli mould to prepare dumplings.
Boil 2 to 3 cups of water in a wide vessel and slowly drop the dumplings into the water. Within 2-3 minutes, they will start floating on the top.
Remove the dumplings and add them to the prepared sauce.
Sprinkle the gremolata over the ravioli and serve.