Jal Jeera Recipe - Sweet And Sour Cumin Water Recipe
Jal Jeera is a very famous drink from North India which is consumed mostly in summers to beat the scorching heat. You can also serve it with your favourite chaat in the evening.
Jal Jeera is a lip smacking beverage made from cumin & tamarind, sweetened by pineapple. It is the best to had on a hot summer day with few appetizer by the side. Jal jeera is very famous in the northern part of India where it is consumed along with puchkas also called as pani puris.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Refreshing Drink Recipes such as:
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Cumin seeds (Jeera) , dry roasted
- 1/4 teaspoon Mint powder (Pudina)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri dry red chillies
- 8 Whole Black Peppercorns , crushed
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) , (dried and powdered raw green mangoes - easily available at Indian stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Salt (Kala Namak)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt , or regular salt
- 1 to 1/2 tablespoons Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Paste , concentrated
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar , (adjust in case you intend to not use pineapple juice)
- 1/2 cup Pineapple , (I could procure a little more than a cup of juice)
- Chilled water
- Boondi , to serve, optional
How to make Jal Jeera Recipe - Sweet And Sour Cumin Water Recipe
To begin making the Jal Jeera Recipe, wash mint leaves and cilantro leaves and keep aside.
Peel & slice pineapple. Using a juicer, extract juice and strain it twice to procure clear pineapple juice.
Grind the dry spices using a spice grinder and then add the tamarind paste, mint leaves and cilantro leaves.
Using 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, make a fine paste. Strain the paste twice so you have a clear concentrated paste. (I used a regular sieve for the first straining and a finely meshed one for the second) Transfer this to a pot or jug.
In a measuring jar, add the pineapple juice and top the rest with water so that you have a total amount of 650 ml (approximately) of liquid.
Add sugar and stir well to dissolve. Pour this liquid in the concentrated paste and stir well. Jal Jeera is ready; chill it and sprinkle boondi before serving. Serve Jal Jeera as an appetizer or a digestive drink.