Kadai Mushroom Recipe
Kadai Mushroom Recipe is high on spices but you can adjust the spices according to your preference. For traditional kadai mushrooms, button mushrooms are used, but I decided to make some variation this time and used Portobello mushrooms instead. There isn’t any difference in the taste. Both taste yum. In this recipe, you sauté sliced mushrooms, in semi dry gravy of tomatoes, ginger and garlic , along with bell peppers to give you hot and tangy taste. You can dry roast the whole spices and grind them separately, or just roast them in oil and use as it is, like how I have done with my Kadai mushroom recipe. Serve this Kadai Mushroom Recipe with Indian bread like Phulka, naan or kulcha for lunch or dinner.
Explore more possibilities of mushroom recipes
- 400 grams Portobello mushrooms , you can use button mushrooms too)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , chopped very fine
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , few chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 4 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- Salt , to taste
How to make Kadai Mushroom Recipe
To prepare the Kadai Mushroom Recipe, wash Portobello mushrooms well 4-5 times and slice them into very thin slices.
Grind together the chopped tomatoes, garlic and ginger using very little water to thick puree in a mixer.
In a pan, add oil and fry together cumin seeds, bay leaves, fenugreek seeds, cloves, black pepper, and cinnamon stick and slit green chillies for few seconds on medium heat.
Add chopped onions and fry until they turn soft and translucent, on medium high heat.
Add chopped bell pepper and fry for about 2 minutes.
Pour the prepared tomato puree and mix well. Let it cook until it comes to rolling boil.
Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well and add some salt to taste.
Add sliced mushrooms. Mix well. Cover and cook for 4- 5 minutes or until mushroom becomes soft.
Garnish with coriander leaves, mix and remove from heat.
Serve this simple hot and tangy Kadai Mushrooms with Indian breads naan or roti.