Kakrar Jhal (Bengali Crab Korma Recipe)
Kakrar jhal, the Bengali crab Korma is one of my favorite seafood and I like to make various variations on it. Karkar Jhal is a coastal recipe. Crab dishes are popular around Coastal areas. Serve this spicy dish along with steamed rice for a meal.
Explore more of the seafood recipes here
- 8 Crabs , cleaned, separate the legs and slightly crushed
- 2 Onions , pasted
- 3 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 tablespoon Homemade tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilli , paste
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Red Chilli , paste
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds , white ones, paste
- 2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Mustard oil , to cook
How to make Kakrar Jhal (Bengali Crab Korma Recipe)
To prepare Kakrar Jhal, heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil in a Pan.
Clean the crabs and put a little salt and turmeric powder.
Shallow fry the crabs till they turn red in color. Keep it aside.
Heat remaining oil in the same pan add onion paste and fry till it turns light brown.
Then add ginger and garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
Add cumin powder and turmeric powder and stir for 30 seconds.
Add green chilli paste, red chilli paste, tomato puree and mustard past, fry for 5 minutes.
Then add salt, sugar and fried crabs. Stir continuously for 2 minutes.
Add little water and cover it for 5 minutes or till the crab is cooked and well blended with spices.
Then add garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves and switch off flame.
Kakrar jhal / Bengali crab Korma is ready to be served with steamed rice.