Kashmiri Pulao Recipe - Pulao Spiced With Saffron, Whole Spices & Nuts
Kashmiri Pulao is a delicious mildly sweet royal pulao flavoured with saffron, aromatic spices, fried nuts and garnished with fruits. This lip-smacking pulao loaded with richness from the saffron and nuts, and makes a perfect accompaniment for any festive occasion or parties.
Kashmiri Pulao is delicious mildly sweet royal pulao flavoured with saffron, aromatic spices, fried nuts and garnished with fruits. This lip-smacking pulao loaded with richness from the saffron and nuts, and makes a perfect accompaniment for any festive occasion or parties.
Making Kashmiri Pulao is an easy task, no special skill needed. The fruits that are used for garnish can also be fried in a ghee to give it an added richness to the pulao. In addition to you can also use pomegranate, paneer, grapes, cherries and tutti frutti to make it more fancy.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Pulao Recipes that you can pack for your Lunch Box:
- 3 cups Basmati rice , soaked for 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Ginger , thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1-2 Green Chillies , slit
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nuts , roughly broken
- 1 tablespoon Badam (Almond) , roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Walnuts , roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Raisins
- 1 tablespoon Pistachios , roughly chopped
- Saffron strands , few strands soaked in warm milk
- 2-1/2 cups Milk
- 3 cups Water
- Salt , to taste
- 3 tablespoon Ghee Whole Spices
- 1 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 4-5 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 6 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1/4 cup Apples , diced small, for garnish
- 1/4 cup Pineapple , diced small, for garnish
- 1/4 cup Caramelized onions
How to make Kashmiri Pulao Recipe - Pulao Spiced With Saffron, Whole Spices & Nuts
To begin making the Kashmiri Pulao Recipe, first wash and soak the rice for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
In a heavy bottom sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee.
Add bay leaf, shahjeera, black cardamom, cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks and fry them for few seconds until they release a roasted aroma.
Add a tablespoon of broken cashews and fry for another minute until the cashews are roasted golden.
Add ginger juliennes, ginger powder, fennel powder, Kashmiri chili powder, salt and the soaked rice and fry for few seconds. Add milk, saffron milk, water and bring the pulao to a brisk boil.
Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and allow the rice to cook, until all the liquid has be absorbed.
Meanwhile, heat another tablespoon of oil in the pan and roast the dry fruits until light golden brown. Take it off the heat and keep aside.
Once the rice is done, add roasted nuts to the rice and gently fluff up the rice with the fork. Transfer the rice to a serving platter, garnish it with fried onions and diced fresh fruits.