Kashmiri Style Veth Chaman Recipe-Paneer in Yogurt & Tomato Curry
A paneer gravy that is inspired by the Kashmiri Pandit cuisine. No onion and no garlic recipe with all the familiar flavours of Kashmir like fennel, cinnamon and saffron makes this truly delicious. You can serve it along with some mador pulao and lachha paratha by the side.
Kashmiri Veth Chaman is a typical Kashmiri recipe where the paneer is cooked in yogurt, fennel and tomato curry and whole spice like bay leaf, cardamom pod, cinnamon stick adds in flavour to this dish.. Kashmiri pandit cuisine is elaborate and gives out the ethnic identity of the pandits. The food is usually prepared in lots of yogurt, oil or ghee, and spices. The recipe uses no onions and garlic. It is very delicious and an easy recipe.
Other Kashmiri recipes that you can try are:
- Kashmiri Munj Haakh Recipe- Knol Khol Flavored With Asafoetida
- Kashmiri Style Dum Aloo Recipe
- Kashmiri Rogan Josh Recipe
- 300 grams Paneer (Homemade Cottage Cheese) , diced in cubes
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 5 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1/2 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf) , grounded to make powder
- 2 tablespoon Curd (Dahi / Yogurt) , whisked
- pinch Saffron strands
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
- pinch Mixed Spices
- 4 tablespoons Mustard oil
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , for garnishing
How to make Kashmiri Style Veth Chaman Recipe-Paneer in Yogurt & Tomato Curry
To begin making the Kashmiri Veth Chaman, heat 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a thick bottomed pan and fry the cubes of cottage cheese until it turns golden brown color. Drain on absorbent paper.
Meanwhile In a bowl, add one and a half cup of warm water and then put the fried paneer to the warm water.
Now in a pan add the remaining mustard oil, add asafoetida and let it sizzle for a second.
Now add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and green cardamom, saute them for few seconds.
Add shahi jeera and saute for another few seconds. Then add tomato puree in it.
Now add kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger powder and mix well.
Next add freshly grounded fennel powder and mix it properly. At this time add half cup of soaked paneer liquid and mix well (you may add more or less water as your choice).
When the mixture starts to boil, add whisked yogurt, crushed saffron and combine them well.
Simmer the gravy for a further 5 minutes then add salt and mix well. Now add soaked paneer cubes carefully because they are very soft now. Cover and let Kashmiri Veth Chaman it simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.
Now sprinkle mixed spice or garam masala and garnish Kashmiri Veth Chaman with fresh coriander leaves.