Kerala Special Vegetable Stew Recipe
Kerala, God's own country, is known for its greenery. What can be more fitting compliment to this visual experience but a culinary experience like Kerala Special Vegetable Stew. An array of vegetables like carrots, peas, beans, potatoes are cooked in coconut milk. You can extract fresh coconut milk or use the ready made ones. They are mildly flavoured with Kerala's authentic spices. One does not need too many ingredients to prepare this delicacy. This is a gluten free and vegan dish with international appeal. This extremely popular dish is a must try!
If you like this recipe, you can also try other stew recipes such as
- Kerala Style Vegetable Stew Recipe with Coconut Milk
- Goan Chicken Stew
- Cauliflower Coconut Milk Stew
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , peeled and cut lengthwise
- 15 Green beans (French Beans) , cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 1 Onions , red, sliced lengthwise
- 1 Garlic , grated
- 1/2 inch Ginger , peeled and grated (optional)
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk , thin
- 3/4 cup Coconut milk , thick, (extracted from 1/2 coconut)
- Salt , to taste For tempering
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 10 to 12 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
How to make Kerala Special Vegetable Stew Recipe
To begin making the Kerala Special Vegetable Stew recipe, firstly wash and steam the vegetables (including onion) till they are fork tender.
Heat a heavy bottomed pan with coconut oil and temper with the whole spices and curry leaves.
Now add the grated ginger and garlic and saute' for 20 seconds only.
Add the steamed vegetables and the thin coconut milk. Cook covered over low flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
After 5 to 7 minutes, add the thick coconut milk, stir to mix and switch off.
Add salt and it is ready to be served. Using fresh whole spices and fresh coconut gives the stew it's authentic taste.