Khatte Baingan Recipe
Khatte Baingan is a delicious Brinjal recipe which is quintessential in most Muslim weddings.
Khatte Baingan is a very popular and delicious Brinjal (Eggplant/ Aubergine) delicacy served throughout the country. It is a must have with Biryani and is quintessential in most Muslim weddings. The recipe of Khatte Baingan varies from region to region. Some recipes call for curds but we prepare this dish using tomatoes and tamarind. Khatte Baingan can also be served with phulkas, rotis or as a side dish with rice.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Baingan recipes such as
- 250 grams Small Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , (crown removed and cut into 4 pieces each)
- 4 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tomatoes , deseeded and pureed
- 1 Tamarind , small lemon sized ball
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- Cooking oil , for frying
How to make Khatte Baingan Recipe
To begin making the Khatte Baingan recipe, wash and pat dry the cut Brinjals with a towel.
Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the brinjals till they turn soft and slightly change colour.
Once done, transfer the fried brinjals to a plate and keep ready.
Wash and extract the pulp of tamarind and keep this tamarind water ready as well.
Now heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and saute for a minute.
Next add black peppercorns and sesame seeds and saute for a few seconds.
Then add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell goes.
Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
Cook till oil starts separating. Then add coriander leaves and tamarind water.
Bring the gravy to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes.
Finally add the fried Brinjals, mix well and cook for a minute.
Then reduce heat, close a lid and cook for about 5 minutes till the brinjals are cooked and have absorbed the masalas.
When the brinjals have cooked and the gravy has become thick, switch off the gas. Transfer the Khatte Baingan to a serving bowl and serve hot.
Khatte Baingan Recipe is part of the Beat The Heat With Summer Vegetables