Kolambi Bhaath Recipe (Maharashtrian Prawn Rice)
Kolambi Bhaath is a marathi style rice preparation with Prawns. To my mind it closely resembles tomato rice with added prawns. Cooked rice is mixed with prawns stir fried with onion and tomatoes along with some dry spices to make a delightful and yet easy lunch/dinner.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Prawn recipes such as
- 200 grams Prawns , deveined & shelled
- 2 cups Rice , cooked
- 3 Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 to 4 Green Chillies
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Salt , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- pinch Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- Sunflower Oil , as required
How to make Kolambi Bhaath Recipe (Maharashtrian Prawn Rice)
To begin making the Kolambi Bhaath, In a heavy bottom wok/kadhai, heat oil and add hing to it till it sizzles.
Next, add jeera and sauté till golden brown. Add all the dry masalas including cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves. Fry till they are fragrant.
Add onion, curry leaves, garlic and ginger and sauté further till the onions turn translucent.
Add tomatoes and fry till they are mushy and oil separates.
Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and then add the prawns.
Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes till the prawns are cooked.
Mix it with boiled rice delicately. Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander leaves.