This Portion Control Meal is dedicated to the Kumaoni cuisine from the state of Uttarakhand. The plate consists of a Potato & Radish sabzi, a mixed dal, some palak-methi stir fried, all of which is served with a ragi-wheat phulka and a bowl of dahi to go with it. A colorful meal with foods from different food groups and various nutrients, this meal has the right quantity of food required during a meal.
Eating mindfully, the right quantities of food, and most importantly the right sources of protein, carbs and fiber, is something you must live by.
Ragi-wheat phulka cover your requirement of carbs, where wheat- simple carbs is combined along with ragi-complex carbs to keep you satiated for a longer period of time. Mixed dals are a source of proteins required by the body.
Radish is a low calorie vegetable, rich in fibre is known to be very good for the liver and stomach and it acts as a powerful detoxifier too. Radishes have long been known to have a low glycemic index, which means that eating it does not impact blood sugar levels. It also helps regulate the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream. Research suggests that the since radish has low glycemic index, having radish root juice or eating raw radish in the form of raita, helps stabilise blood glucose levels and provides slow release energy in turn making it Diabetic friendly.
Below are the quantities we have used for a complete portion control meal. You can use these suggestions based on your dietary requirements.
Total Calories: 320 calories
- Pahari Style Phanu - 1/2 Katori
- Palak & Methi Ka Kapa - 1 Katori
- Kumaon Style Thechwani - 1/2 katori
- Madua Ki Roti - 1 roti
- Yogurt - 1 katori
Read the Guidelines for Healthy Eating Using Portion Control to incorporate healthy eating habits into your everyday lifestyle.
1. Pahari Style Phanu Recipe - Delicious Mixed Dal
A pahari style dal from the Kumaoni cuisine is a comforting dal dish made by combining a few variety of dals and cooked along with whole spices, give this Phanu Recipe a shot in your kitchen.
Try our other Dal recipes:
2. Kumaoni Style Palak & Methi Ka Kapa Recipe
A healthy and delicious stir fry of spinach and fenugreek leaves with a hint of spices, this Pahari Kumaoni Style Palak & Methi Ka Kapa is packed with nutrition.
Try our other Palak-Methi recipes:
- Keerai Masiyal Recipe (Stir Fried Green with Mustard and Curry Leaves)
- Methi Chaman Recipe (Paneer In Dark Leafy Greens Based Gravy)
- Methi And Palak Paratha Recipe
3. Kumaon Style Thechwani Recipe-Mooli Aloo Sabzi
A lovely combination of soft and crunchy, this Thechwani is a sabzi made with potatoes and radish with simple everyday spices.
Try our other dry sabzi recipes:
- Gawar Phali Methi Ki Sabzi Recipe -Cluster Beans Methi Sabzi
- Turai Baingan Ki Sabzi Recipe - Eggplant Ridge Gourd Sabzi
- Achari Kaddu Ki Sabzi Recipe
4. Madua Ki Roti - Ragi Wheat Phulka Recipe
A roti made with half wheat flour and half ragi flour, this Madua Ki Roti is made so very healthy.
5. How To Make Homemade Yogurt (Curd)
Your daily intake of calcium can come from this creamy healthy Dahi made at home.