Maharashtrian Style Kolhapuri Khichdi Recipe
Crunchy mixed sago pearls with toasted peanuts, freshly grated coconut and flavoured with coriander leaves.
Maharashtrian Style Kolhapuri Khichdi Recipe is an authentic dish which is a part of Breakfast meal for most the locals in Mumbai. The dish is made from sago pearls which are nothing but tapioca pearls that are tossed with ground coconut and peanut masala with green chili and coriander. The khichadi can be had any time of the day as breakfast or even an evening snack.
If you are looking for more Khichdi recipes here are some:
- 2 cup Tapioca Flour (Sago) , soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , skin peeled and chopped small
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt , to taste
- Sunflower Oil , for cooking Ingredients to grind
- 1/2 cup Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali) , roasted
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 5 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves
- 3 Green Chilli , chopped
How to make Maharashtrian Style Kolhapuri Khichdi Recipe
To begin making the Maharashtrian Style Kolhapuri Khichdi soak the tapioca pearls in water for an hour and wash and rinse well.
Add some water and micro wave the tapioca pearls for 5 minutes and you can also add luke warm water to soaked pearls in a bowl till it becomes soft.
Grind all the ingredients mentioned in the list to a coarse paste and mix it along with sago pearls and coat well.
Heat a pan with oil, add cumin seeds and allow it splutter for 10 seconds. Add the chopped potatoes and saute them until it is cooked and crisp up. You can add turmeric powder and black pepper powder and saute also.
Once the potatoes are well cooked add the tossed sago pearls in the masala and give it a toss. Add sugar and check for salt. Switch off the heat and serve hot.