Crispy crunchy shells filled with beans, veggies or meat, with flavourful condiments, topped with some fresh salad and not to forget the cheese, Tacos are easily the most liked Mexican dish by us Indians. It gives us so much room to innovate and play around with fillings and flavours, fill them in hard taco shells or just soft tortillas be it whole wheat or gluten free corn tortillas.
Needless to say that the taco is a traditional Mexican dish consisting of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. Sometimes, tacos are served folded like in the case of hard tacos, where the filling is stuffed in between or many a times served on a flat tortilla with filling sitting in the centre.
Taco Tuesday is a custom in many cities in the United States. Here the ritual is to go out and eat tacos or any Mexican tortilla based dish on Tuesday nights. Taco Tuesday is a concept similar to Happy Hours in the restaurants. Legally, 'Taco Tuesday' is a trademark of Taco John’s a popular Mexican taco restaurant chain and other restaurants are prohibited from using this term. (source wikipedia)
Tacos are absolutely easy to make. You can keep the hard taco shells or tortillas ready beforehand to make it easy. You could serve it as mini bite sized party appetizer or served standard sized tacos for a full meal along with a drink and dessert.
Here are the main elements that help put a taco together:
- Hard taco shells - The Homemade Hard Taco Shells Recipe
- Whole Wheat Tortillas - Home Made Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
- Corn Tortillas - Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe
- Summer salad - Summer Salad Recipe-Red Cabbage, Lettuce Onions & Tomatoes
- Homemade refried beans - Homemade Refried Beans Recipe
- Homemade sour cream - Homemade Healthy Sour Cream Recipe
- Homemade spicy mexican salsa - Spicy Mexican Salsa Recipe - Tomato Salsa Recipe
- Homemade Guacamole - Homemade Guacamole Recipe - Perfect Mexican Guacamole Dip
So dive right in and make your favourite taco for your next meal.