Manga Ogre Recipe (Mango Rice)
Mongo ogre recipe is a summer recipe where we use mangoes in it. The most loved feature of summer is mangoes. Mangoes-unripe or ripe are much loved by the majority of Indians. The green, unripe mangoes find their way in anything from simple summer drinks to laborious preserves like pickles. This Manga Ogre or Mango rice is one such recipe that makes use of the season’s bounty of green mangoes, along with some coconut and mustard seeds. This is a very easy and quick recipe that helps you to put together flavorful tangy rice, without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Serve this Manga Ogre as it is or with mint and pomegranate raita, for a refreshing summer meal.
You may also which to try other mango recipes and here are few of them.
- 1-1/2 cups Cooked rice
- Salt , to taste For the Chutney Recipe
- 1 Mango (Raw) , peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3-4 Green Chillies , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , a small bunch finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Jaggery , grated For the Tempering:
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2-3 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
How to make Manga Ogre Recipe (Mango Rice)
To begin making the Manga Ogre first,
Grind together in a blender- mango, coconut, mustard seeds, green chillies, turmeric powder, jaggery (if using), little salt and coriander leaves to a fine paste. (Don’t add water to the paste. The rice is already cooked in salted water so add salt just enough for this chutney)
Add this chutney to the cooled rice and mix.
In a small Kadai/wok heat oil.
Add the mustard seeds, once they splutter, add the cumin seeds, the chana dal and sauté for a few seconds.
Add the hing and curry leaves and take it off the heat.
Pour this tempering over the rice. Mix well.
Your Manga Ogre Recipe is ready to be served, serve with some mint and pomegranate raita for a flavourful meal.