Mixed Vegetable Handvo Recipe - Savory Rice & Lentil Cake
Handvo is a Gujarati dish which is a savoury rice and lentil cake. In this recipe we have added vegetables and spiced it with chilli powder and green chillies to make a delicious version of the dish.
Mixed Vegetable Handvo Recipe is a Savory Rice & Lentil Cake that is fillled with the goodness of vegetables. This gluten free and vegan cake recipe is a healthy and delicious option for breakfast. It is a Gujarati recipe which you can either serve it for your breakfast or for your tea time/evening snacks.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other other Gujarati recipes such as
For the batter
- 1/2 cup Basmati rice , coarsely ground (similar to coarse semolina)
- 1/4 cup White Urad Dal (Whole) , coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup Green Moong Dal (Split) , coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal) , coarsely ground
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 cup Bottle gourd (lauki) , shredded
- 1/2 cup Carrots (Gajjar) , shredded
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Enos Fruit Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Caster Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 Green Chillies , ground to paste (I used 2 large ones)
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt , to taste For tempering
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 10 Curry leaves , broken
- 3 Dry Red Chillies , tore them and take out the seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Black sesame seeds , extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds) , extra for sprinkling
How to make Mixed Vegetable Handvo Recipe - Savory Rice & Lentil Cake
To begin making the Vegetable Handvo recipe, soak the coarsely ground rice and lentils overnight using yogurt (curd/ dahi) in a bowl.
Add some warm water (1 tablespoon at a time) to bring the batter to a very thick consistency.
Ferment the batter overnight or for 10-12 hours. Once it is fermented, add shredded veggies in the morning along with chopped onion, lemon juice, sugar, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and ginger garlic green chili paste. Mix well.
Mix Enos fruit salt with 1 tablespoon of water and add to the batter. Bring the batter to a thick consistency using a little water.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan on low heat and add mustard seeds and red chilies. Fry them till they attain a deep color and a smoky flavor.
Next, add in the sesame seeds. Add curry leaves and once everything starts crackling, remove from the heat and add it to the batter.
To make handvo, grease a medium sized non stick pan with a little oil. Heat it and pour in the batter. Sprinkle the black and white sesame seeds, cover the pan and reduce the heat.
Cook for approximately 10 minutes. When cooked, it will leave sides. Turn it over and cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove from the pan and slightly cool the handvo. It is ready to be served.
While soaking the rice and lentils, don’t be tempted to make the batter loose. As next morning veggies will be added and they will add their natural water to it.
The consistency of the batter should be approximately that of fritters. (However a thicker one is preferable)
Feel free to use veggies of your choice – peas, courgettes, cabbage, beans, etc Note: Do not be intimidated with the amount of chilies. Both, the whole red ones and fresh green ones add a different flavor to the dish.
You can keep the lentils and rice ground separately in separate containers and use them at your convenience.
There are special pans in which handvo is traditionally made, however, you can use a non-stick pan (as suggested in this recipe)
The preparation time does not include the soaking and fermenting time.