Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe
Give this simple, delicious and yet healthy Idli Upma a try! If you have some left over idli's then all it takes is 10 minutes to make this simple breakfast. Serve it along with a tomato garlic chutney and a cup of filter coffee for breakfast or even an evening snack.
Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe is a simple and yet wholesome breakfast recipe that is packed with vegetables like carrot, beans and capsicum adding to the crunch of the soft spongy idli. The addition of pudina leaves into the idli upma makes this absolutely delicious and perfect for breakfast or even a tea time snack. The Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma can also be served for parties, where your guests can use a pick and savour them.
If you are looking for more breakfast recipes here are some :
- 10 Idli , cut into diced
- 10 Pearl onions (Sambar Onions) , finely chopped (or 1 large onion)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , finely chopped
- 3 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Green beans (French Beans) , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 6 Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- Mint Leaves (Pudina) , a small bunch finely chopped
- Salt , to taste
How to make Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe
To begin making the Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma Recipe, heat a teaspoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add in the mustard seeds and allow it to crackle for a few seconds.Then add in the split urad dal and allow it to roast and turn a light brown in color.
Once the dal is roasted we will add in the chopped onions, then the ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute on medium heat until the onions are transparent. Add the carrots, capsicum and beans - sprinkle salt and roast the vegetables on medium heat.
You can optional sprinkle some water and cover the pan and steam cook the vegetables.
Once tender we will add in the turmeric powder and the cut idlis and some salt to taste.
Sprinkle a little water so the idlis don't get too dry, you want them to be moist and flavorful when the Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma is done.
Stir all the ingredients well. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan and allow the Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma to simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes.
After 3 to 4 minutes, add in the chopped mint leaves and stir. Transfer the Mixed Vegetable Idli Upma to a serving bowl and serve hot.