Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu Recipe (Steamed Vegetable in Coconut and Lentil Curry)
Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu is a delicious preparation of the steamed vegetables that is cooked in a coconut and lentil curry. The Poricha Kootu is a traditional south Indian recipe that is great comfort food. Serve the Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu along with steamed rice and Vathal Kozhambu.
If you like this recipe, you can also try our South Indian recipes like
- 1 Chayote , or snake gourd, peeled and cubed
- 100 grams Green beans (French Beans) , chopped
- 3 Carrots (Gajjar) , peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Moong Dal (Split)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi) Ingredients to be ground to paste
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 4 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 5 Curry leaves
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- 4 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal) , 1 teaspoon bengal gram
How to make Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu Recipe (Steamed Vegetable in Coconut and Lentil Curry)
To begin making the Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu Recipe; we will first cook the moong dal lentils with about 2 cups of water in a saucepan or a pressure cooker, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
Once cooked completely, whisk it using a fork. See Video recipe of of to cook lentils in a pressure cooker
Steam the chow-chow, the beans and carrots adding just a little salt, until tender and cooked.
Grind together the grated coconut, cumin seeds, curry leaves and the red chilli into a smooth paste. Use warm water for grinding, this will help the coconut blend well with the chillies.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add the mustard seeds, bengal gram and halved white urad dal and allow them to crackle. Allow the dal to roast well until lightly browned.
Stir in the cooked lentils, the cooked vegetables and curry leaves and sauté for a few minutes. Add a little water to adjust the consistency of the Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu. Check the salt levels and adjust to suit your taste.
Serve the Mixed Vegetable Poricha Kootu along with steamed rice and Vathal Kozhambu.