Moong Dal Halwa Burfi Recipe
Moong Dal Halwa Burfi, a perfect Indian dessert recipe which you can make for festivals and special occasions. Serve it after a tasty meal of South Indian Style Vegetable Kurma Recipe, Steamed Rice and Beetroot Pachadi.
Moong Dal Halwa Burfi is a sweet dish prepared as an offering to God during all the festivities in South India. Make this simple yet delicious dessert a part of your upcoming festivities and have everyone drool over them.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Barfi Recipes which you can make for special occasions:
- 1 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split)
- 1-1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 4 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds , powdered whole
- 10 Saffron strands
- 15 Cashew nuts , chopped
- 10 Badam (Almond) , chopped
- 1 tablespoons Sultanas
- Ghee , as needed
How to make Moong Dal Halwa Burfi Recipe
To begin making the Moong Dal Halwa Burfi, add ghee in a pan and roast all the dry fruits and set aside.
Grease a thaali/plate for the halwa and keep it aside.
Roast the Moong dal in a dry pan until uniformly roasted, you will see the color change and experience a nice toasty smell from the moong.
Soak the moong dal in 1 cup of water for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once soaked, grind the moong dal along with the soaked water to make an almost smooth batter. It should feel a little coarse, but yet lightly smooth (like fine semolina/sooji).
- Once ground, pour the batter into a heavy bottomed pan, whisk in the milk, sugar and cardamom.
- Turn the heat to medium and keep stirring the moong dal halwa until it thickens and begins to leave the sides of the pan. Add the saffron strands once you notice the thickening of the halwa.
- Its important to keep stirring the halwa, so it does not form lumps and in addition, does not stick to the sides of the pan.
- Once the halwa comes away from the sides of the pan, pour the halwa into the thaali to set. Top it with the fried dry fruits and let it cool.
Once cool slice into desired shape and serve your Moong Dal Halwa Burfi as a super delicious and healthy dessert.